Shehnaz M. Bhujwala
Shehnaz M. Bhujwala, a strong advocate of consumer rights in civil courts and the California Legislature, is a partner of Boucher LLP.
Bhujwala helps people harmed by defective products, and those hurt by bad practices of corporations, employers, and governmental entities, obtain justice through the courts. She prosecutes class actions, mass torts, and other complex civil cases in federal and California state courts.
Bhujwala, who has been recognized for her work as a consumer attorney as a “Southern California Rising Star” by both Los Angeles Magazine and Southern California Rising Stars Magazine (2009-2011), and bestowed a Martindale-Hubbell "AV Preeminent" rating for her professionalism and ethics, has helped bring resolution to numerous cases through settlement and trials over the course of her legal career, including:
- A historic settlement on behalf of hundreds of survivors of childhood sexual abuse against the Los Angeles and San Diego Catholic Archdioceses
- A favorable settlement on behalf of a news reporter who suffered severe electrical burns and related injuries when her transmission truck hit overhead power lines
- A favorable settlement on behalf of survivors of historic mass kidnapping against kidnappers
- A class action settlement with the Writers Guild of America on behalf of writers to ensure the Guild’s payment of collected, foreign levy funds to them
- A class action settlement against telephone company for privacy violations on behalf of wiretap victims
- A class action settlement against bank for unlawful recording of telephone conversations with customers
- A class action settlement against major movie studio on behalf of nationwide profit participants who challenged how the studio paid them distributions for home video revenue.
- Numerous class action and representative action settlements on behalf of workers for wage theft
Prior to joining Boucher LLP, Bhujwala worked for top plaintiffs’ firms in the Los Angeles area, including Khorrami Boucher, LLP, Kiesel Boucher & Larson, LLP, and Greene, Broillet, Panish & Wheeler, LLP.
An active author and speaker on consumer law subjects, Bhujwala is a member of, and has held leadership positions in, numerous professional organizations, including:
- Consumer Attorneys of California: Board of Governors (2011-2017); Chair, Woman’s Caucus (2015); and Executive Committee (2016)
- Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles: Board of Governors (2013-2014)
- Los Angeles County Bar Association: Litigation Section, Legislative Chair (2014-2016); Judicial Appointments Committee (2014-2017); Complex Courts Committee, Co-Chair (2016-2018)
- American Association for Justice
- Public Justice
Through her work with the Consumer Attorneys of California, Bhujwala also regularly speaks with California legislators regarding the need for sufficient court funding and other issues affecting consumers and workers.
A California native and current resident of Los Angeles, Bhujwala received her undergraduate education at the University of California, Los Angeles where she obtained her Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology. Thereafter, she attended the University of Southern California’s Gould School of Law, where she obtained her Juris Doctor degree. During law school, she externed for the Honorable U.S. District Court Judge Robert Takasugi of the Central District of California and counseled victims of domestic violence through the Los Angeles County Bar Association’s Barrister’s Project.